Friday, August 17, 2012

It's Free, Take It

A thought came to mind yesterday and I knew that is what I should post about. I have to admit that I have a problem. I love free things! Like, seriously. It doesn't matter if I need it or not, I feel like I am required to take it because it is saving me money since it is free. At one point I was plotting a good time to stop on an interstate to pick up a piece of clothing that someone had lost there. It was a coral color and I was hoping it was a sweatshirt or something. (I never ended up picking it up but I still regret figuring out what it was). Going along with this whole love of free things, I still have a hard time accepting when friends decide they are going to buy something for you. There is that whole scenario of going to a restaurant and someone covers the whole bill. Everyone else around the table start digging through their wallets and get out their money and try to give it to the individual. They deny their payment but the people insist. Some people at this point will reluctantly accept their payment for the meal and the issue is over. While others, who really would like to bless the others by providing them with a meal for no cost to them continue to refuse the money. It is at this point where I put my wallet back and thank them profusely. I do not like asking for money but I also would like to allow them to give if that is what they would like to do. Who am I do deny someone of blessing others? If I would like to give a painting to someone as a birthday gift, I don't want payment in return. It is a gift. Let me give it to you free of charge. On a similar note, I think that is one of the many reasons why people in our society have a hard time completely accepting the fact that God GIVES us salvation FOR FREE. None of us come close to deserving this gift but God loves us so much that He can't help but shower grace on us and GIVE us that opportunity to exist in heaven with Him for eternity.....that's right......eternity!!!! Many people have been taught that God requires certain things in return. Many of these thoughts include things that are great for society, but the whole thought that God requires them from us is an illusion. God providing Jesus as a way out of our punishment from sin is COMPLETELY and UTTERLY FREE. I'll even say, "NO STRINGS ATTACHED" when there are not strings even around it. So, accept God's gift as it is, free. It doesn't matter that you can do things in return to 'pay Him back'. It is a FREE GIFT. (Things that people think are required by God are things that we should want to do because we are so thankful and LOVE Him so much that they just happen in our lives)

2 comments:

  1. Awesome post, Mac!
    We naturally want to earn our way to God. In truth I think we resent that the only hope we have is his free, totally unmerited, favor because to accept it we must understand our helpless estate and how far of His glory we really are. The original sin was rooted in pride and it has been at the root of every sin since.
    Oh. And for whatever reason my Google profile identifies me at Bridget, but the comment are always from me, Craig, unless of course they're from Bridget :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've struggled with this as well. My parents bought me 2 window air conditioners for my apartment. I did not want to accept them because I was trying to be independent. Someone helped me realize that the A/C's were a "gift" and not charity....a "gift" out of my parents love for me. We often have the same issue with accepting God's grace. Pride can so easily get in the way.

    ReplyDelete