Tuesday, May 22, 2012

How do you describe God?

So, this morning I got to have a little praise and worship time with God and my guitar. I played a couple songs that I had pulled for Bible study. It is really fun to just get to play any praise song you want to and most times I find some song that relates exactly to what is on my mind at the time (funny how God works like that). I came across Cannons by Phil Wickham. After only a couple lines of singing I realized that this song went PERFECTLY with what I was thinking about yesterday! So, long story short, The song below is a continuation of yesterday's post! 


After my mini jam session with the Most High, while getting ready for the day, another song came to mind. A Todd Agnew wrote a song about how no matter what we come up with to praise God; His glory and majesty is still far beyond anything we could ever describe. Any combination of adjectives we compile or string of praise we present will always be a drastic understatement of God's superior splendor. 

To put this in terms we might be able to picture. You most likely have heard about the artist Michelangelo di Lodovico Buonarroti Simoni, well, actually, you have probably just heard about Michelangelo. If the name doesn't ring any bells (which normally names don't ring any percussion instrument in my head) than maybe the Sistine Chapel is more familiar?


Well, anyway, Michelangelo demonstrated a mastery of may art mediums as well as a strong knowledge of science and anatomy. 

When people go and see, in person, what remains of Michelangelo's works, most are simply in awe. If someone were to see his work and refer to it as 'ok' or simply 'good' they would be not giving credit where credit is due. To paint with as much detail in even one part of the Sistine Chapel, let alone all of the paintings in that building! What makes them even more impressive is that most of the paintings are on the ceiling! (I struggle rolling paint on a ceiling, let alone any detailed artwork). 

Our language puts barriers to how we can describe or praise God. Nothing we find on earth can compare to Him. 



1 comment: