Friday, June 15, 2012

Focus On Volleyball Not The Carnival

All yesterday I spend in the lab working on my research (imagine that). Seriously the whole day.....9am-8pm (which is actually less time that average).

So you can guess just how excited I was to get to play volleyball last night!

YAY VOLLEYBALL!!!!

Let me tell you...I was in rare form! I could not stop laughing (which isn't too far off from normal, but as a team, we were playing terrible so for me to still be laughing was probably not the best thing). I was having a grand old time, until it was my turn to serve. I didn't even get the ball over the net. (For anyone who knows me or has played/watched my volleyball, this is unusual. My serve is what I depend on.) My team mates (who I haven't played with but a couple games) were shocked! One of them asked 'What was that?" I told them not to worry and that it was the beginning of the game and I just needed to warm up.

When it happened again (and AGAIN!) I knew something was up. I could not focus on the volleyball. The court where we were playing was outdoors, and the park surrounding it was hosting a small carnival/fair. There was music (loud music), people, and light flashing rides all around us. Also, it was just after dusk and the lights for the courts were very bright (if you stared at them). To top the whole thing off, I had forgotten my contact lenses at the lab and was forced to wear my glasses which completely eliminated any chance of peripheral sight. The combination of all of this was distracting my eyes from my purpose. I was there to play volleyball (and to play it well).

At this point, you might be wondering where I am going with this long, pointless story. Well, here it goes. Each of you have a purpose for being alive. You all have gifts God has given you to use for His glory. Some might be made to teach, others were blessed with the ability to make anyone and everyone feel loved, and still others were designed to be grand leaders. How many of us are using our gifts completely? The world around us can take our attention away and distract us from what we were designed to do. Does the looming rent payment for the next month distract you from serving others? Are the issues with your car keeping you from praising someone with a 'job well done'? Our distractions don't necessarily have to be a bad thing either. Your family can keep you from using your spiritual gifts. The carnival surrounding the volleyball court wasn't evil. But it was distracting me from playing my best. Today, think about what God has designed you to be. List your gifts. (Yes, take the time to be positive about yourself). Maybe even take the time today to compliment someone else's spiritual gifts and remind them of their purpose!

No comments:

Post a Comment